Sunday 22 May 2011

Faster, Better, Cheaper

I've changed. The recession has finally got to me.

I now want it cheaper.

But who would have known that in the search for cheaper I'd also find better and faster?

As an experiment, for the last 4 weeks I've switched supermarket. Gone are the trips to Tesco, Asda and Morrisons.

I've embraced Marks & Spencer's food hall.

And the results are staggering. It now takes me 20 minutes to do my weekly shop (instead of 60 minutes). The quality of the food is better. And, perhaps most surprisingly of all, I'm saving a LOT of money.

Let's quantify it. My average weekly shop in Tesco was coming in at around £140 in April. For two people: that's a lot.

Now I combine a trip to my local butchers Simon Howie (good, top quality meat) with a weekly shop in M&S. So far I'm yet to break the £100 barrier, a saving of 30% and more on most occasions.

I'm wasting less (so it's greener too), and we're eating healthier as a result.

So there, I've said it. I've converted from being a Railway Children family (Butter or Jam on your bread, but not both) to simply having my cake and eating it.

All in the honest quest of saving a buck or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment