Sunday 11 November 2012

Remembering


Human beings are used to being humbled.

Corporations not so much so.

And so it was, just a few minutes before the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month, an installation team arrived at my door from the doomed British retailer Comet to install my new tumble dryer.

A tumble dryer which I ordered online literally 4 hours before I heard on Twitter that the retailer was due to go into administration.

A tumble dryer which I thought I might never get.

A tumble dryer which I thought I might never get installed, even on the off chance I did eventually get it delivered.

A tumble dryer which, in the scheme of things, is of little consequence when 6500 people are facing certain redundancy just 5 weeks before Christmas.

These two men, who fully expect to be out of a job forever at some unknown point next week, stood in my kitchen at 11am and faithfully observed a 2 minute silence in remembrance of the fallen.

I hope, at their eleventh hour, that someone will also remember them.

No comments:

Post a Comment