Sunday 26 June 2011

So it Is

It isn't hard to make people feel special. In fact, it's remarkably simple.

The receptionist at our firm of accountants recently hung up her headphones after some thirty years service, to embrace retirement. Her departure has left a considerable void in that business. While the position has been filled, training has been delivered (and her replacement can more than ably answer the phone, direct your calls and greet you in person), she forgot to pass on her secret weapon. Three little words: So it is.

Here's the script:

ME: "Hello, may I speak to David Smith please?"
RECEPTIONIST: "Who's Speaking?"
ME: "Tricia Fox"
RECEPTIONIST: "So it is!"

Wow. Three little words that simply say "I remember you" - this is platinum service at its best.

I was certain these three little words were used on every customer who called. But they were always said with so much sincerity that their every day use was more than forgiveable.

And, if I may be so bold, I think those three little words (which have probably been viewed by managers as the receptionist's individual style and character) are an excellent point of difference in an otherwise crowded marketplace, and should have formed part of the new receptionist's training in how to handle calls.

Don't believe me? Then ask yourself when was the last time a receptionist made you feel special?

So it is.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true Tricia. Thank you for the reminder.
    One of my biggest problems is that I have a lousy memory for names (don't we all?) but I am good with faces. Show me the face and I can tell you what jewellery he/she owns.
    A friend of mine used to use a little trick. When stuck for recalling a client's name...
    Consultant: I am sorry, I cannot remember your name
    Client: Debbie
    Consultant: I know you are Debbie, but what is your surname?

    Never had the pluck to use it yet ;)

    ReplyDelete