Friday 18 February 2011

£3.79.... And do not pass Go.

Visiting the supermarket has become very much like a game of monopoly. Except it's no game.


Not for the customer, anyway.


If you're unlucky enough to have enough in your trolley to warrant going to a manned checkout, you will first be subjected to a diverting (or perhaps that should be disturbing?) discussion with a 16 year old who is pretending to be genuinely interested in what you have planned for the weekend...... Or worse, later tonight.


I often toy with the idea of telling the truth during these interludes. However, that would just be cruel. So, with a bit more effort on my part, I make something up. Something banal that pleases both me and the checkout operator? Our "duty" is done. They've followed the script and created a "magic moment" for me. I've played my part.


More magical for me, however, would be instilling the basic "P's and Q's" in these checkout operators. Rarely, if at all, do they ever say please, and I can't recall the last time they said "thank you" for my business.


It's surely not too much to ask. Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment